Wednesday 13 October 2010

Less is More

A few thoughts on my personal weightlifting experiences and maybe they can relate to you and your sport. In 2010, I have experienced a few injuries, lack of motivation, changing lifestyle patterns, stress and poor weightlifting. I started the year in the Limerick Open where I lifted poorly. Since then I have been hampered with injury. I resumed training and went all guns blazing at it, training 10-12 sessions per week and then finding myself going backwards.

I never managed my training with no deloading weeks and aiming for scores that were unrealistic as I was not fresh enough. I also found lifting by myself didn't help, leading to a major low in motivation.

I reassessed what I was doing, Now I lift 4 days a week with 2-3 big sessions making sure I recover well for the big sessions to keep the CNS as fresh as possible. I lift in different locations and try to train with other lifters as much as I can but work often dictates training alone. I work on mobility and recovery when I'm not in the gym and watch the famous KStar on MobilityWOD to get ideas and keep me at it.

I now have time for a life outside of work and training, get free weekends and feel like I'm lifting better than ever. Perfect.

3 comments:

  1. the change will revitalise your training and make you a better lifter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brendan it worked. Went to gym for 40mins yesterday. Snatched to 85kg PB and left. Happy man.

    ReplyDelete